Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Next Step? PSX - Aoki Ookami beta

After tinkering with the Mega CD version for a few hours it got me thinking about releasing a patch of Super Aoki Ookami Beta (aka Sartaq Khan Beta .056) in a IPS patch. Which is something I've never done before. I am sure I can find something on Romhacking.net that will aid me. But the patch is already crusty. You'd have to fatten your rom with a tool first I'd think. Because uh... that was the first thing I did. Thinking I'd be able to insert fresh material after consulting a few dozen tutorials... and that didn't happen.
Photobucket

After that I decided to to poke around the PSX Aoki Ookami.iso just for kicks. I've seen and played a few playstation translations and hacks recently and it seems like a doable concept. After all my true goal was translating a perfect version or making a chasis for a perfect Ghenghis Khan 2 game. Where nothing is cut and you can be what ever country you want to be. Possibly adding a scenario would be a pipe dream. Actually, this wouldn't be so hard at all hex editing one scenario to make another. It would just be tedious to plot it out and enter all the values( on a SNES or Genesis ROM).

SO SCREW TRANSLATING SUPER AOKI OOKAMI WHEN I CAN TRANSLATE THE SUPERIOR PLAYSTATION VERSION AMIRITE?

Is it possible for me to do what I did to the Super Aoki Ookami rom onto the PSX.ISO?

Lets see shall we...
(click on the pictures to view entirely)
Mega CD
(PSX Version still has MEGA CD stuff in it. Without a doubt its a direct port!)

After cracking open the iso with 7zip I found a number of files. I proceded to scroll about in a hex editer until I found something familar

psx to aoki

Same values. Same system. If you able figure out the whole rom for Aoki Ookami you'd be right at home here. Seeing how I've done most of the work involving who is who and what means what wife, general, ruler wise in the Super Aoki Ookami rom I am at home with SMAIN.PRG's people values.

sartaq to psx

If anyone out there is a wizard with hex editing and interested in playstation game hacking I believe we can help each out!

Maybe later in the week I'll try and see if I can put the iso back together correctly and get some screenshots up.

4 comments:

Sartaq Khan said...

DAH! I think I cracked the megacd version not the PSX.iso!!! Balls! Well... I'll have to see if its the same later.

The_Evil_Psycho said...

Wish I could help, but the only thing I know about hex editing is cheating/editing saves for lords of magic. :(

Sartaq Khan said...

Believe it or not you can help. Hex editing is just a puzzle. Worst thing that can happen is you crash the rom.

The_Evil_Psycho said...

Yeah my knowledge amounts to me following explicit instructions, for modding saves, then watching as 1/2 the time either A: Nothing Happens or B: My game crashes.

Which is also my skill at Modding Mount & Blade (which is somehow LESS user-friendly than hex)

Seriously, anything more complicated than Medival II total war, and it tends to explode on itself. :(